It is currently Mon May 29, 2017 3:12 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to dayvectors

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Aviation Photography As Surrealism
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:08 pm 

Have thanks: 2 time

From http://historicaltimes.tumblr.com/post/ ... lt-between: "Fairey Gannet on the HMS Ark Royal built between 1953–1959"

I had to stare at it for a minute to figure out what was going on.

Post subject: Re: Aviation Photography As Surrealism
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:21 pm 
Site Admin

Have thanks: 4 time
Yeah, Gannet ... contraprops and double wing fold.

I'm shutting down the DayVectors and Vectors websites in the near future. They won't go away; I'm just consolidating them as sub-sites to the airvectors website. With no prospect of any major growth in traffic, it makes sense to put them under one roof and only pay rent for that.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:30 pm 

I could have figured that out sooner if it wasn't the visual interference of the crazy sensor bulges.

I don't know what your plans for consolidation involve, but the best way to preserve traffic might be to set dayvectors and vectors as subdomains of airvectors. Then you could preserve the structure of all the existing links, and use some Apache scripting to map the old links to the new ones. IE http://www.dayvectors.net/g2016m04.html -> http://dayvectors.airvectors.net //g2016m04.htm . Subdomains are generally free to make on most hosts. I do a fair bit of this, would be happy to advise.

Vectorsite is the original domain, yes? You could also remap vectorsite to the root domain, then have air.vectorsite, day.vectorsite, etc. The general rule is to look at what pages get you your biggest traffic and make sure that those URL's are still functioning/redirecting transparently.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:50 pm 
Site Admin

All I'm going to do is copy the existing websites into "airvectors.net/dv" and "airvectors.net/vc". I'll have forwarding pages from the old sites until they time out and disappear. It will work, I don't see it as being any inconvenience to readers.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:50 am 

It will work for humans, certainly.

Will the forwarding pages translate dayvectorsnet/xyz.html to airvectors.net/dv/xyz.htm? If there's not a 1:1 correspondence between the old pages and new pages. you'll probably take a hit in search engine. SE's will see that A) the old address isn't pointing to the same content, and B) a bunch of addresses forwarding to the same site. Either of those may result in the search engine downranking or dropping your listings. Managing search ranking is a huge headache because you're dealing with a highly automated system that has good reason to suspect that everything it's being fed is dishonest.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:45 am 
Site Admin

I'm not worried about website rankings. My stats have been level, or on a gradual decline, for several years, and I don't see any prospect of that changing.

My primary objective is now writing Kindle ebooks, and the websites really only exist to support that activity. I can generate materials that will eventually end up in ebooks, and also write longer and more detailed documents than the limited ebook format can reasonably support. It is very difficult to write long or complicated documents in the ebook format ... ebooks are reasonably sized on the basis of four to eight book chapters -- so it's like maybe four ebooks equivalent to one reasonable text book.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:59 pm 
Site Admin

Hmm ... on sleeping on it, that subdomain idea looks pretty good. I was a little scared of the idea at first, since it sounded like a good way to bumble into getting a website lost in cyberspace, but Fatcow has a page that makes it sound easy -- no directly messing around with scripts. It also permits me to put different websites into different subdirectories, which was another concern -- putting them all in the same directory would be troublesome.

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]